In Maryland

Register

Forums

Appliance Repair

Baltimore City, Baltimore County, Howard County or Anne Arundel County, Maryland.

Click Here To Schedule For Service

fixfault.com - Free Fault Forum - Fix Appliances, Electricals, Gadgets

---------------------

Never Service Your Appliance With Power / Current Going To The Appliance. Always Turn Off The Circuit Breaker Or Unplug The Unit Before Servicing.

CLICK HERE
FOR HELP LOCATING YOUR MODEL NUMBER
---------------------
CLICK HERE
For appliance help from around the globe
---------------------
CLICK HERE
To Order Parts
---------------------
CLICK HERE
do-it-yourself appliance repair guide
---------------------

Go Back   Appliance Repairs in MD Schedule Today, City Baltimore, Howard, Anne Arundel, Counties > Forums For Do-It-Yourselfers > DRYERS > Whirlpool, Kenmore, Kitchen Aid, Roper, Estate

Schedule An Appliance Service Call In Baltimore Maryland
Appliance Repair Today

Appliance Repair in Baltimore and Surrounding Counties

SERVICE TODAY

For Any Day Of YOUR Choice
Schedule With Us 24 Hours
443-376-8009
Appliance Repair In Maryland
Baltimore City, Baltimore County, Howard County, Anne Arundel County
  AdForWebForum

Click Here Star Appliance Repair.

Our URL address is http://serviceeveryday.com
For free, register and post for this Help You Fix It forum
... click me to schedule a service call ...

Old 01-24-2005, 09:08 PM

mozart241 is an unknown quantity at this point
Angry Whirlpool / Kenmore Dryer Won't Stay Running...

Hi, new here...
Our Kenmore Elite electric dryer, model number 11063932101, starts but won't stay running. You can push the button and the drum will turn but once you release the button the drum stops.

This same thing has happened once before to a previous dryer, same brand, but it was still under warranty and the company just gave us a new dryer instead of fixing the 4 month old one. Unfortunately the warranty has now expired on this new (replacement) one. I also believe, if I remember correctly, that when this happened with the previous dryer it also wouldn't heat up anymore (when you would just sit and hold the button for awhile). I haven't checked to see if this is the case with this one yet.

Why does this keep occuring with this particular model and how do I fix it?
Old 01-24-2005, 09:51 PM
Administrator & Appliance Repair Man
Our Commander

Appliance Tech is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Re: Kenmore Dryer Won't Stay Running...

Hi there to you -
It may be the motor start windings. If you turn one of the drum paddles does the drum seem to turn okay? Just to make sure the drum is not locked up try that. You can also remove the belt from the motor pulley and then try to start it by pushing the button and see if the motor takes off and runs. But my guess without being there is either the motor start windings are bad or the drum is locked up...

To Schedule for an appliance tech to come to your home in Maryland and repair your washer, dryer, refrigerator, freezer, dishwasher, oven or range, please click http://serviceeveryday.com

Old 01-24-2005, 11:39 PM

The drum turns just fine and the motor as well. If I stand there and hold the PTS button the the dryer, or drum and motor, seem to work fine. The drum turns smoothly, the motor has a nice gently hum to it. No problems there. It's just when I let go of the PTS button it pops back out and the motor and drum roll to a stop. As if at the end of their timed dry cycle. I can even reach in and grab the drum and turn it by hand with no problems. Turns smoothly.

What else could it be?
Old 01-25-2005, 05:10 AM
Our Commander

If it were me and I had the schematic I would jump the two correct wires from the switch bypassing it completely and see if it works properly an entire cycle, even all the way to stop. If it does then the switch is probably bad. Or if you have a meter you can test out the PTS using the schematic.

To Schedule for an appliance tech to come to your home in Maryland and repair your washer, dryer, refrigerator, freezer, dishwasher, oven or range, please click http://serviceeveryday.com

Old 01-26-2005, 08:00 PM

Default Re: Whirlpool / Kenmore Dryer Won't Stay Running...

OK, I've found the problem. I pulled the Console Panel apart and was starting to perform some tests with my meter when something caught me eye on the main circuit board, aka the Even Heat Electronic Control Assembly board. One of the transistors, resistors, relays, thingy majigors (I don't know exactly what they are called) on the board was black. On the schematic it is referred to as R2. Clearly it had short circuited somehow. Crispy critters.

Now, my question is is this something I can call up the manufacturer and order (I have a part number)? It, the circuit board itself, looks like it will be really easy to pull out and replace once I get a new one. Correct me if I wrong on this.

Second question, is this likely the only thing wrong here or when this particular things burns out does something else farther down the chain (something I might not be seeing yet) also need replacing?

And lastly, why did this occur (twice)? What are we doing to cause this (twice)? Bad venting perhaps?

Thanks for all your help so far.
Old 01-26-2005, 08:13 PM
Our Commander

When we see a burnt out piece on a board we do just replace the board. Why it happened is only a guess but a good one would be to make sure that your venting is open outside. That the lint outside did not jam it clsed or snow or ice. But when that ever oes occur there is a thermal fuse that is suppose to blow before that board. So while you are inside of the dryer make sure that no one else ever worked on it and jumped out the thermal fuse to force it to work. Also there really is no way to know if anything else is bad until you replace the one thing that you see with your eyes. Again, we never mess with the boards themselves. We just throw a new one in there. Any of your appliance parts suppliers should have this. Take the old one with you to hold up to the new one to just compare the two against each other. You will do better going in rather than online. Yes it is an easy change out.
I'll tell you....I learn a lot from you guys too. Let me know....and thanks too

Last edited by Appliance Tech : 01-26-2005 at 08:17 PM.
Old 01-31-2005, 10:28 PM

Hello again. Well I did a little research locally for the part I needed and placed the order last thursday. It came in today and is now installed. It WORKS!!!!! I don't believe it. I am so happy. Plus I ended up saving close to $20 bucks by shopping around.

Thank you so much for the help. I think this site is absolutely wonderful. I love doing my own work. Sometimes a little guidance is necessary though and so it is just great that there is a site, and a person, out there that is willing to share their knowledge and wisdom from years and years of experience with those of us that may have the desire but lack in know-how. Thank you.
Old 02-01-2005, 03:33 AM
Our Commander

Glade I could help a little bit and really glade its drying clothes again :-) But you really found this problem all yourself. Make surew the venting is wide open outside too.